Tomas Mapua was one of the first scholars sent by the government to the United States during the American regime and became the first registered Filipino architect.
Mapua was the supervising architect for the Bureau of Public Works from 1918 to 1927, during which period he was in charge of important government projects, including the Nurses Home of the Philippine General Hospital, Training School Building of Normal School, Psychopathic Building of the National Mental Hospital, the School for the Deaf and Blind, and many provincial and municipal buildings.
In January 1925, he founded the Mapua Institute of Technology, a school specializing in architecture and engineering.
He retired from public service in 1928, heading his own construction company (MYT Construction Works,Inc.) which undertook the construction of the New Post Office Building, Fox Theatre, and the annexe to Paules Church
21 December 1888
to 22 December 1965
Great Filipinos, Birth Centenary
#1998a, 18 May 1989
part of a se-
De la Salle University, 75th Anniversary
#1802, 16 Jun 1986
The neoclassical St. La Salle Hall was built from 1920 to 1924 as the new campus of De La Salle College (now De La Salle University) facing Taft Avenue in the district of Malate in Manila.
Mapua won a competition to design the building.
Buildings associated with Tomas Mapua
Copyright © topicalphilippines 2011.